We believe in alchemy
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find some of our most frequently asked questions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, head over to our Contact Page and get in touch with us.
Your Woods & Byrne candle is made from 100% natural vegetable wax and contains a unique blend of essential and fragrance oils handcrafted at our studios in Dublin, Ireland.
Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) information is available on our website under the technical information tab at each product it applies to.
What is CLP? CLP is the Classification, Labelling and Packaging Regulation (EC) No. 1272/2008 which came into effect on 1st June 2015. It is an EU law that applies to ‘mixtures’ made or sold within the EU and has made major changes to the way chemicals are classified and labelled in the EU. The regulation stipulates that all new products with hazardous substances must be labelled accordingly. CLP applies to scented candles, wax melts, reed diffusers and home fragrance products whether scented with synthetic fragrance oils or natural essential oils. As both synthetic fragrance oils and natural essential oils are considered to be chemicals, they are subject to CLP.
To get the very best out of your Woods & Byrne candle:
- Always burn your candle for a minimum or 2 hours and a maximum of 4 hours to ensure an even melt pool i.e. until the melted wax reaches the glass container edge. This will set the wax so that the candle burns evenly on subsequent burns. Please leave the candle for at least 2 hours before lighting again.
- Never burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time.
- Do not allow the flame to touch the sides of the glass container. Your candle glass container can become hot during use so avoid touching or moving the candle when it is lighting.
- After burning, ensure the wick is upright, above the wax and central before the wax sets.
- When the candle has cooled, replace the lid. This will keep your candle dust free and help to preserve the scent. When your candle is not in use, keep in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight or harsh indoor lighting. Candles may fade if they are left in bright light for an extended period of time.
- Your candle wick has been pre-trimmed so is ready for its first burn. For subsequent burning, always trim the wick to 5mm (1/4 inch) and make sure you remove any wick or match debris before lighting again.
The net weight of our small Woods & Byrne candle is 50g
The net weight of our medium Woods & Byrne candle is 150g
Your Woods & Byrne candle is made from 100% natural vegetable wax. We use only natural vegetable wax in our candles so your candle may be made from soy wax, coconut wax, rapeseed wax or can be made from a combination of these natural waxes.
Sometimes your natural wax candle may cool leaving an uneven top. The rough, bumpy tops after burning your natural wax candle are caused when the hot wax in the melt pool cools and solidifies at an inconsistent rate. This is a feature of soy wax and all-natural vegetable waxes. There is no fault in the wax or candle and it will not affect the performance of your candle at all.
If you love candles, but don’t like when the candle doesn’t burn all the wax to the edge of the glass container, you might look for a way to make the wax burn completely. Here’s what you should do about leftover wax on the side of the container:
- Avoid short burns i.e. blowing out your candle before it reaches a full melt pool.
- Do not be tempted to push the wax down into a hot candle. This can be dangerous and puts you at risk of a skin burn. It also shortens the length of the exposed wick which can actually result in more wax remaining the next time you burn your candle.
- Accept ‘leftover’ wax. Residual wax can have the benefit of preventing the candle container from becoming too hot. Variability in burning conditions result in different amounts of leftover wax. For example, the length of time the candle has been burning or the temperature of the room can affect the amount of leftover wax. The candle is performing as designed
Our wicks are made from natural fibres. We use a mix of cotton and linen wicks in our candles.
The small Woods & Byrne candle will burn for up to 15 hours.
The medium Woods & Byrne candle will burn for up to 30 hours
Your candles may burn for longer than the stated hours above depending on where you are burning your candle e.g. in a cooler room. Please follow our instructions on how to get the best out of your Woods & Byrne candle.
Your candle is made from natural vegetable wax so for the best quality burn, we recommend that you burn your candle within 24 months of purchasing.
Our candles are made from 100% natural vegetable wax so are suitable for vegans and vegetarians
We love animals at Woods & Byrne so we never test our products on animals.
If you have any concerns at all, please check with your local vet. Never leave your pets unattended in a room with a lit candle. Keep your candle out of reach of pets at all times.